Why you should be marketing on Yo right now
Most people still think Yo is about sending a simple Yo to your friends and at it’s core, it still is about sending a simple Yo to someone. Yo now has marketing value due to one thing: context.
Each Yo provides a unique layer of context. Think of a Yo as a smart push notification.
Double tap to Yo your location! http://t.co/yMuTzkvHnQ
— Yo (@YoApp) October 13, 2014
What does a Yo look like?
It’s essentially a mobile web page, so however your developers build it — is how it will look. Here’s a simple example from the NBA:
How does Starbucks, NBA, Buzzfeed, & Dolly use it?
- Starbucks uses it to show you nearest stores
- The NBA uses to show you recent highlights
- Buzzfeed uses it to send you hot articles
- Dolly uses it to send exclusive coupons
Which brands are already benefiting from Yo?
Here is a list of just some of the brands on Yo already.
- USA Today
- The NBA
- Rotten Tomatoes
- LA Times
- Stanford University
- The Washington Post
- Wall Street Journal
- Funny or Die
- Rock the Vote
- USA Today
- …and countless more.
How is your brand using it?
A simple push notification and a side swipe later and you’re diving into a brand’s content.
Think of Yo as a more simplistic and mobile-focused IFTTT. Brands have an opportunity to connect directly with users on mobile who let them know they are interested in being Yo’d.
The opportunities are immense.
Yo is actually saving lives by Yo’ing Isreali users when an impending rocket attack approaches. Brick and mortar stores are using it to provide nearest store locations.
Content creators are using it to highlight special content. Service providers are providing exclusive discounts.
Setting up your first Yo
How do I setup a simple Yo for discount codes?
1) Download the Yo app and set up a personal account
2) Go to dev.justyo.co and login with your personal account
3) Select a “+ New Account”
4) Insert a great username for your offering:
5) Most likely ignore the Callback URL (ignore, unless you know exactly what you’re doing)
6) Be sure to change your image for professionalism:
This will create you a Yo account for your brand. At Dolly, we opted to go with the Yo handle DOLLYDISCOUNT.
We Yo our subscribers when we unveil an exclusive discount code. Once you’ve created a new handle, anyone who Yo’s your handle will be automatically added as a subscriber.
How do I Yo my subscribers?
1) Select “Prepare a Yo”
2) Input the necessary details
3) Remember your subscribers are on mobile, all content should be mobile optimized (or at least mobile friendly)
Should I really start marketing on another platform?
As a marketer, you never really know which platforms will be worth it in the end. In my opinion, it’s best to get a working understanding of a new platform and also establish a presence that secures your core branding experience.
The time commitment is fairly insignificant and the learnings can be great, plus the upside is high.