A Life-Saving Social Media Lesson From the Weather Channel
The Intersection Between Weather and Social Media
Jennifer Watson (@JWatson_Wx) joins the Social Toolkit from The Weather Channel (@weatherchannel) where she currently serves as Content Producer. After having been forced to participate in social media by a previous supervisor, Jennifer fell in love with it, becoming not just a storm chaser but a “tweet- chaser” as well.
Jennifer shares a close look into a unique niche of social media marketing and lead generation. Surprisingly though, the same principles apply in her particular industry as others, as she shares her insights on the importance of not just posting and “peace-ing”, but truly engaging with your users.
There may be one large difference when it comes to weather and social media: When “marketing” a huge weather event, wallets may not be emptied, but lives can be changed.
“On April 27th, 2011, during the big tornado outbreak, it really hit home that social media is a life-saving tool.” (click to tweet)
Brought to you by:
In This Episode:
- App of the week: SkyGuide
- The importance of “realtime” social media
- Valuable weather apps (Radar Scope, PYKL3, Authentic)
- Using social media to facilitate company mergers
- Driving successful Twitter campaigns
- Keeping Twitter relevant to the bulk of your followers
- Tools for tracking engagement on social media (TweetDeck, Sprinklr)