The Top 50 People Most Retweeted by Digital Marketers [Study]
Find our new podcast, The Social Toolkit, on iTunes.
Leadtail and PunchTab have collaborated to create another list analyzing the behaviors of digital marketers on Twitter.
In they past they have covered the Twitter behaviors of mid-sized marketers, but this time they surveyed 515 North American digital marketers, who are of manager level and above, active on Twitter during February and April of 2014.
These 122,027 tweets, and 57,009 shared links have been posted by brand corporate, and agency marketers responsible for digital, social, content marketing and/or loyalty/CRM marketing programs.
They show a window into the world of the marketer’s consumption of social, and insights into the B2B side of social media can be invaluable when crafting your marketing strategy.
Digital Marketers balance news and education
The report uncovers some interesting findings looking at mainstream versus industry outlets.
While these digital marketers are reading and sharing content from the typical mainstream and industry sites like The New York Times, Forbes or Ad Age, a growing number of independent or company blogs like Convince and Convert, Hubspot, Buffer and Moz are creating content that speaks directly to what marketers are interested in today.
The report found that 43% of content shared was mainstream content, and 42% industry.
Who do Digital Marketers engage with?
The study also looked at who these digital marketers mention and retweet the most. Looking at who is being retweeted the most is generally a sign that they are sharing content that demands being shared.
Now while it’s definitely fun for the folks on this list to see their name mentioned, for a business who is trying to get their message out in front of these marketers, crafting a strategy designed to get these people talking (be it through the content they share or the conversation they create) is one way to generate new opportunities for a desired audience to take an action.
Consider the insights from this study (which you can download here) when you think about where you could advertise, what content you could create, and whom could you build relationships with.
According to Leadtail and PunchTab, here are the Top 50 People Digital Marketers Retweet most:
1. Jay Baer – @jaybaer
2. Vala Afshar – @ValaAfshar
3. Chris Brogan – @chrisbrogan
4. Jeremiah Owyang – @jowyang
5. Lee Odden – @leeodden
6. Guy Kawasaki – @GuyKawasaki
7. Brian Solis – @briansolis
8. Ann Handley (Marketing Profs) – @MarketingProfs
9. Danny Sullivan – @dannysullivan
10. Darren Rovell – @darrenrovell
11. Mark Johnson – @MJohnsonLoyalty
12. R Ray Wang – @rwang0
13. Sean Gardner – @2morrowknight
14. Richard Branson – @richardbranson
15. Maria Popova – @brainpicker
16. Mark W Schaefer – @markwschaefer
17. Amber Naslund – @AmberCadabra
18. Jeff Bullas – @jeffbullas
19. Glen Gilmore – @GlenGilmore
20. Mari Smith – @MariSmith
21. Shelly Kramer – @ShellyKramer
22. Michael Brenner – @BrennerMichael
23. Barack Obama – @BarackObama
24. Rainn Wilson – @rainnwilson
25. Neil deGrasse Tyson – @neiltyson
26. Anil Dash – @anildash
27. Anthony DeRosa – @AntDeRosa
28. Ann Tran – @AnnTran_
29. Bruce Van Horn – @BruceVH
30. Nick Bilton – @nickbilton
31. Peter Shankman – @petershankman
32. Mark Ragan – @MarkRaganCEO
33. Dan Primack – @danprimack
34. Brian Fanzo – @iSocial_Fanz
35. Mack Collier – @MackCollier
36. Tim Siedel – @badbanana
37. Ted Rubin – @TedRubin
38. Chris Voss – @CHRISVOSS
39. Gerry Moran – @GerryMoran
40. Brian Morrissey – @bmorrissey
41. Heidi Cohen – @heidicohen
42. Lolly Daskal – @LollyDaskal
43. Stephen Colbert – @StephenAtHome
44. Magic Johnson – @MagicJohnson
45. George Takei – @GeorgeTakei
46. Ariana Huffington – @ariannahuff
47. Marc Andreessen- @pmarca
48. Elon Musk – @elonmusk
49. Kim Garst – @kimgarst
50. Gary Vaynerchuk – @garyvee
Update: Roel Manarang put together a list today with all these folks on it for easy following: https://twitter.com/roelmanarang/lists/house-of-digital