5 Tips For Leveraging Social Media To Become An Event Influencer
Find our new podcast, The Social Toolkit, on iTunes.
Whether you’re an event attendee, exhibitor or host, social media engagement is key to maximizing your networking experience and putting your brand front of mind.
Nowadays, social media is the most effective way for making your mark, creating awareness around your brand and developing relationships with other event stakeholders.
Even if you are not physically attending the event, effectively leveraging social media makes it possible to follow along with the conversation and participate. Here are some tips for making the most of your event experience, and creating awareness around your brand while setting the stage for becoming a credible and influential thought leader in your industry.
Before the event…
1. Do your research
Research all relevant hashtags (including specific session hashtags), speakers and industry influencers who are attending. Check out the company’s website to see their hashtag for the event and the speakers’ Twitter handles which will make sharing your experience that much easier.
2. Jump start the conversation
Use the researched hashtags to share useful info about the event. If there are changes in the schedule or new advice learned that you’d like to share with your network – you’ll have the hashtags and Twitter handles ready for real time use.
During the Event…
3. Live tweet
Share insightful quotes or engaging content from speakers. (use their handle and the event hashtag!) After meeting other attendees in-person, shout them out! Also, keep checking Hootsuite do some real-time listening by other attendees, influencers or speakers. Or Synthesio, who offers influencer rankings to quickly see the top people tweeting about the event.
4. Host or attend a tweetup
- Hosting a tweetup is a cheap and easy way to get your name out there and for becoming a thought leader in your industry – and a great opportunity to network with other attendees.
Tip – choose a social media active venue that may partner up in promoting your party, or allows attendees to receive a free drink or appetizer upon checking-in to the venue on Foursquare.
- Keep on the lookout for other relevant tweetups or mixers taking place during the event – don’t miss a fun opportunity to mingle with other attendees.
After the Event…
5. Share your experience
- After the event, provide a useful summary that highlights the event’s key points and takeaways. When promoting your post, include with the event’s hashtag and twitter handle and they’ll more than likely share it with their followers, too.
- Create and share a Storify for the event – Storify is an app that rounds up relevant tweets to tell a story on the web. This is perfect for an event, where the top tweets are insightful quotes. This is an excellent way to capture these quotes and share with other attendees and those who couldn’t make it to the event.
Tip – tweet to attendees whom you’ve mentioned in your Storify and let them know – people love getting a shout out!